The XSmall and Small size covers fit the same weight range (2.5-5.5kg), however the XSmall is a smaller cover. The XSmall is
designed for use with newborn size nappies such as the XS Sandy's nappy or newborn prefolds. The Small size cover is for use with
larger nappies such as the one-size nappy or folded terry squares.
Always get Small or XSmall size for a newborn baby - Medium is too large for a new baby. Most people are more than happy
with the wear they get from the small size.
If in doubt about the size, do not wash the cover when you get it but try it on over a clean dry nappy. If you are not happy with the size then
take it off immediately and we are more than happy to exchange unused/unwashed covers.
Air-flow or Rikki?
This is a very personal choice. The main difference is that the Rikki closes with Aplix (like Velcro) and the
Air-flow with snaps. They are
also a different cut - the Rikki is very trim whereas the the air-flow is a very generous (some would say "baggy") cut.
Here are some things to consider when choosing:
Trim cut and trim fit
* Only adjustable around the waist, but leg gussets to help fit around the leg
* Quick and easy to put on
* Extra care required when washing to avoid the Aplix snaging and collecting fluff
* This cover is good for babies with skinny legs where the air-flow snaps are too big
* Babies can often open Aplix from around 4-6 months old, so outer clothing is needed with this cover
* Fantastic cover for use with prefolds or folded nappies on new babies - just put the cover over the nappy and do up the Aplix snuggly - no need
for pins or snappi!
Generous cut - fits any nappy and just about any baby and allows air to circulate inside
the cover ("Air-flow") to reduce temperature and wetness
* Seperately adjustable at waist and legs - good for fat tummies or fat thighs!
* Easy to wash and care for
* Snaps never wear out
* Babies cannot open snaps
* Easy to put on a wriggly baby - just snap it on!
Wash and Care
Can be machine washed to 60°C (wash with you nappies). Be sure to close Aplix before washing to avoid snagging and
collecting fluff. Wash unsoiled covers in a delicates bag for extra protection. Can be tumble dried on low. DO NOT BLEACH - including Napisan - as
this will significantly reduce the life of the cover.
With love and care your Rikki cover can be expected to last 4-6 months of full-time (ie. washing every 2nd day) use. Some people find they
last much longer, however, if you have unexplained leaks after 4 months of use then your cover has worn out. Please be aware that the
cover may "yellow" on the inside after a few months of use. This is normal and does not affect the functioning of the cover. Please do
not be tempted to try to bleach the yellow out.
To store the cover for future use wash, rinse twice and dry thoroughly. Store in a cool dry place. Some yellowing may occur if
the cover is stored for some time.
Do you have a tip or comment that may help someone trying to choose a cover or use their Rikki Cover? Please
contact us and
I'll add it here as soon as I can.